October 20-22, 2023
Location: Upham Woods, N194 County Rd N, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965
What is YPCL?
The mission of the Youth as Partners in Civic Leadership Conference (YPCL) is to advance youth voice in Wisconsin by increasing the capacity for youth and adults to share civic leadership in local communities, schools and organizations. We advocate for a youth voice and build mentoring, networking and learning opportunities.
Who should attend?
Teams of high-school-age youth (ages 14-18) and adults (21 or older) sharing decision-making roles in communities, schools and organizations (19 to 20 year olds are also welcome but should register as adults.) Groups are limited to 10 people with the preferred ratio of 5 youth to one adult (at least two adults per group of ten).
Can I lead a workshop?
Participating teams are encouraged to lead workshops and roundtables. This year’s workshops align with our theme ‘Remaining Rooted In Your Resistance’. Workshops can range in topic areas, but should incorporate the themes of policy, systems, and environment. Submit your workshop here: https://forms.gle/wwD5nPcpuoQK8D5R6. Submissions are due October 5th. Priority is given to workshops that are led/co-led by youth.
We are looking for organizations who are interested in providing resources (flyers, informational packets, swag) for YPCL. Your organization will need to provide a table to set up where you can provide information about your organization or mission to youth and adult attendees of the event. Per UW-Madison Policy, there may not be sales of items or any political campaigning/information included in these tables. Please submit your request for a resource table here: https://forms.gle/24PhmuypdQA9fUbT8.
A web orientation will be held prior to the conference.
How do I register?
Identify a team of youth and adults who intend to work together after the conference. Registration cost is $140/person, which includes meals and lodging. Use the team registration form to request scholarship support if needed.
Registering for the 2023 YPCL Conference
1. YPCL Interest Form
2023 YPCL Interest Form – Team Leaders should fill out this form so that we can gauge interest in the program.
2. Team Member Registration
Open online from September 6-October 5, 2023. Register through the Google Form: now closed. Each participant must register individually.
3. Submit health forms
- Youth Health Forms Also available in Spanish
- UW-Madison Health Form (only required for youth participants. If registering online, this will be done online)
- Return completed and signed forms to email@example.com. fax to 608-265-6407; or mail to UW-Extension PYD, 432 N Lake St, Room 105, Madison, WI 53706
All adults register through the Google Form: now closed. Adults who are planning on chaperoning youth will need to enroll as Extension volunteers, which includes a criminal background check, agreeing to behavior expectations, and youth protection trainings to ensure a safe environment. Each organization/group that attends should have at least one adult enroll as an Extension volunteer, whether or not they are a cabin chaperone. As a volunteer for Extension, you are responsible for all youth at the event, not solely your organization’s youth. Adults who complete the process and are at least 21 are eligible to serve as cabin chaperones. Adults may not be cabin chaperones at YPCL if background checks are not complete.
After enrolling as a volunteer, the steps required to be approved are as follows:
- Complete a Criminal Background Check through UW-Madison
- Complete a series of three online trainings:
- Mandated Reporter
- Youth Protection
- VIP training
We will contact all adults who registered as volunteers with directions on: initiating background checks, completing online trainings, and expectations for their role during YPCL.
NOTE: Staff members do not need register in 4-H Online but still need to complete (Instructions, Assumption of Risk, Photo Release and Expectation Forms) as well as a paper health form (says Youth but has been marked as “AA” in age section.)
- If any participant will be under age 14 before the beginning of the conference on October 21, 2022, contact Joe Maldonado (414-339-4574 or firstname.lastname@example.org) for alternative registration procedures.
- High school students should register as youth participants even if they are already 18.
- Anyone out of high school and 18 or older should register as an adult.
- What to Pack for YPCL – in case you need some ideas on what to bring!
Need ideas to pay for team registration? We put together some Fundraising Ideas for YPCL Teams.
Questions? Email Joe Maldonado or call at 414-339-4574
Like us on Facebook at YPCL Wisconsin and we’ll keep you updated.
Issue and Tactics Sessions led by Youth Groups Working in These Areas
- Healthy Lifestyles – healthy eating, going green, alcohol and other drug abuse prevention
- Interpersonal Relationships – social media/cyber issues, teen pregnancy, healthy dating relationships
- Diversity/Multicultural Engagement – issues related to race, sexual orientation, gender, immigration status
- Ending Bullying and Youth Violence – gang violence, school to prison pipeline, working for better juvenile justice
- Youth and Adult Power – working together on issues in education and politics
Most of our workshops were led by teams participating in the conference and we are looking for more for 2022. Do you have a workshop to share?
This year’s workshops align with our theme ‘Remaining Rooted In Your Resistance’. Workshops can range in topic areas, but should incorporate the themes of policy, systems, and environment. Submit your workshop here: https://forms.gle/wwD5nPcpuoQK8D5R6. Submissions are due October 7th. Priority is given to workshops that are led/co-led by youth.